What is Investment Logic Mapping?
A structured conversation that ensures we properly understand our issues and problems, long before we decide on the solution!
ILM deals with the "think phase" of a possible investment, policy or initiative, testing our knowledge of a problem and drilling into the real drivers and effects. Putting "we need a new..." at the door, your ILM facilitator asks tricky questions and helps everyone to truly get their head around a problem.
Developed by the Victoria Department of Treasury and Finance (DTF) and highly recommended by NZ Treasury for problem definition, the structure and conversation strategies used in ILM are a highly effective way to get a strategic understanding of key issues facing your organisation. Alicia McKay is one of a handful of DTF-accredited ILM facilitators in New Zealand - check out the DTF website for more information.
How does it work?
- Key decision-makers come together for a two-hour facilitated discussion
- The 'investment story' is mapped out on a single page, using Plain English language and concepts
- The story develops through each workshop, giving a clear line of sight across each stage
Why use ILM?
- Ask the hard questions early
- Make sure the problem exists
- Identify whether there is a compelling case for change
- Test the 'logic' of an existing investment or initiative.
"Awesome sessions today! You did a great job. Set off some lightbulbs for my team... understanding these 'problems' means we can change our approach and might actually get some traction." Southland District Council